Thursday, June 7, 2012

My Enchantment to the Old Army and Navy Club


I went back to the old Army and Navy Club in Manila today. I saw a group of men converging inside the gate. I asked a security guard if I could go in and see the interior of the once beautiful building. But he said that it was not open to the public and that there would be a press conference that is why the gate was open. Still stubborn, I went on the other side of the building where there was a small puddle before the gate and I asked my friend if she could drive me inside the open gate. As soon as we got in, a group of vagabonds were in sight and a man moved away once we got in. My friend was afraid for my safety but I told her that it was alright. I went out of the car and approached the man and he was friendly. I asked him if there was an entrance at the side of the building he said I have to go in front or visit the Army and Navy Club pool and I told him that I was just interested seeing the building. I thanked him and then we drove to the old Elks Building which is now the Museo Pambata.
This day was our day out to take my niece and nephew to the museum and take a side trip to see my favorite old buildings. My friend and I took the kids inside the museum and let them play until 12 noon. The museum closes from 12 noon to 1 p.m. for lunch; so, I told the children that we will go out for lunch and come back again at 1 p.m.
After lunch at our favorite Matura Bayashi, a Japanese restaurant in Mabini; I persuaded my friend to drive back to the old Army and Navy Club and I was really determined to get answers. I saw three men in blue uniforms possibly the caretakers of the building and asked one of them if I could see the architecture inside the building and he said I have to go to the Manila City Hall to get a permit to see the building. The caretaker also told me that the building was closed since 2007. With a deep sigh, we drove back to the Museo Pambata.

No comments: